EXTENDED: Invitation to apply for membership of the Moderating and Consistency Committee
10 Oct 2011
The NSW Institute of Teachers is seeking applications for membership of the Moderating and Consistency Committee (MCC).
The MCC’s function is to support consistent accreditation decisions across NSW at the levels of Professional Accomplishment and Professional Leadership. The MCC will provide advice to teacher accreditation authorities with regard to all accreditation submissions forwarded to the committee for moderation and ensure that accreditation decisions are consistent with state-wide benchmarks.
The MCC will have 11 voting members and 1 non-voting member. The committee will comprise the Chair of the Institute of Teachers; four practising teachers from schools and school systems; three principals from schools and school systems
(2 Government, 1 non-Government); three representatives of teacher accreditation authorities. The Institute’s Manager, Standards and Accreditation will act as non-voting Executive Officer for the Committee.
It is anticipated that the MCC will meet up to once per term, for between one and three days, with the first meeting being held late November. The Institute will meet the cost of travel to attend meetings, and casual teacher relief where required.
The Institute is also seeking applications for expert panellists to advise the MCC.
Criteria for the selection of members of the MCC and teaching experts are:
- Sound knowledge of the Professional Teaching Standards and the role they play in the accreditation process
- In-depth understanding and knowledge of own subject/KLA content
- Demonstrated successful experience in providing professional advice to colleagues
- Excellent communication skills with experience in giving constructive and honest feedback
- Excellent analytical skills including capacity for comparative judgements within a school context
- Record of excellent pedagogy and classroom practice
- Current or recent successful teaching or principal experience in a school setting (undertaken within the last three years, and including direct support for classroom teaching).
- Experience as an External Observer for the NSW Institute of Teachers
- Accreditation at Professional Accomplishment or Professional Leadership.
Please complete the application form Application for MCC and/or Application for Teaching Experts and return it:
by post: PO Box A976 Sydney South NSW 1235
by fax: (02) 83629098
by email: firstname.lastname@example.org and marked attention to Jan Donaldson, Senior Policy Officer, Standards and Accreditation by 28 November 2011.