Print this page printer Icon

Becoming accredited as a teacher in NSW

To start or return to work as a teacher in a NSW school after a break of five or more years from teaching in NSW you must be accredited with the Board of Studies, Teaching and Educational Standards (BOSTES). Depending on your qualifications, you will be given either Provisional or Conditional Accreditation. This is done by creating an online account, completing an online form and then posting us copies of your certified academic qualifications and other supporting documents, ideally before you start applying for teaching positions.

Read the Provisional and Conditional Accreditation Policy.

What accreditation level will you get?

You will be given either Provisional or Conditional Accreditation, depending on your academic qualifications.

Provisional Accreditation means you have successfully completed an accredited degree. You do not need to complete any further studies and can now work towards being accredited at the next level of Proficient Teacher Accreditation.

Conditional Accreditation means you have successfully completed an undergraduate degree or at least 3 years of a 4 year teaching degree. You can work as a teacher while you complete your studies.

What do you need to do?

Apply for provisional or conditional accreditation

  • Set up an online account.  
  • You will need to create a username and password. 
  • Log in and choose the ‘Teacher’ tab at the top of the home page. 
  • Click on 'Apply for Provisional or Conditional Accreditation'. 
  • Go through the 10 steps to apply for Provisional or Conditional Accreditation.
  • Post certified copies of all your supporting documents to: Teacher Accreditation GPO Box 5300 Sydney  NSW 2001.

What supporting documents do you need to post?

You will need to send us certified copies of your: academic qualifications proof of identity Working With Children clearance from the Office of the Children's Guardian. See the document checklist for graduates.

Literacy and Numeracy test

From 1 July 2016 students completing a NSW teacher education course will need to have passed an approved literacy and numeracy test to be eligible for Provisional Accreditation. 

Graduates who have not met this requirement before completing their course will need to make arrangements to sit for the national literacy and numeracy test as soon as possible.

These graduates will need to provide evidence of successfully passing the test to be eligible for Provisional Accreditation.

What is a certified photocopy?

A certified photocopy is a copy of the original document that has been certified as a true copy of the original by a Justice of the Peace, a person admitted to a publicly available legal roll or a principal of a NSW government or non-government school registered school.

What is the Working With Children Check?

Before you can be accredited by BOSTES you must provide a current Working With Children Check clearance. You can apply online.

You will need to provide proof of identity in person and pay the $80 application fee at either:

  • NSW Motor Registry 
  • Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) 
  • Service NSW.

How long will it take to process your Provisional or Conditional Accreditation?

It generally takes between 5 to 10 working days for us to complete your assessment and email you advice about your Provisional or Conditional Accreditation. The email will have an attachment that confirms the level of accreditation you have been given. It will also provide information about the subjects for which you meet the requirements for appointment to a permanent position in NSW public schools.

What happens next?

BOSTES will then send you: a welcome email with further advice about what accreditation means and what your responsibilities are as an accredited teacher an invoice for your annual accreditation fee.

Important: If you do not receive a welcome email or an invoice, you should contact BOSTES and your employer to make sure that you are correctly accredited.

Already registered in another state or territory?

If you hold current registration from another Australian teacher registration body, your registration may be recognised by BOSTES. You will still need to apply for Provisional or Conditional Accreditation in NSW. You can then apply to have your interstate registration recognised through a process called Mutual Recognition.

More information

Please email or call contact us on 1300 739 338 (within Australia).